Saturday, November 8, 2008

marriage + changing your name

next, i get the joy and stress of doing all appropriate forms needed in order to change my name . it is SO confusing that i feel overwhelmed. i hope its as simple as showing one certified marriage license copy [once minister and witnesses sign license after marriage next week and we turn it in to get official copy of marriage license thru state/govt or whatever] anyone who is married know how this works? advice so very welcome!!!

For those unaware, i get married next week day after thanksgiving so everything is FAST approaching and i am a NERVOUS WRECK right now with so much on my mind!!!

This "name change thing" is something ive actually felt great worry, anxiety and stress over.

It came up after we went to the court to get our marriage license and later that nite jimmy turned to me and said, so does your name just change by itself or do you have to go to court or get a lawyer to change it??

I was instantly overwhelmed when he said this as i had not thought that far or read anything on it so i felt completely in the dark and i was confused, not remembering what was done. this is my second marriage so i have gone thru this process once before but that was back in 1996 and things have sure changed where half my fiance's friends wives keep their name and refuse to change to the male name. I am more old fashioned however and like the idea of changing my name to my new husband's surname. not to mention, i still have my first husband's last name so it would feel good and proper to change that name to my new husband's last name.

In any case, all i recall is sending a certified copy of license to social security [or going in] and driver license office but other than that, i don't recall doing anything else and i dont know if things have changed so drastically that its no longer this way. Anyone know? those married recently in last five yrs or those aquainted with family or friends newly married?

Thanks, ahead of time. any help would be greatly appreciated and would majorly reduce the anxiety and worry i feel over this right now!!!

No comments: