Saturday, June 14, 2008

best band ever- local tampa insight on cure show-

see my insights, thoughts on the cure concert along with our personal pix from the show in the following entry.

i thought this copy and paste of other peoples insights on the cure concert in my local tampa area via a blog site was pretty fascinating, and interesting enough to share since some of their sentiments could echo mine. they seemed to have a closer view than us - however- so their experience sounded a little more personalized and up close, more exciting than ours!

read below:





Reviews
I forgot to factor in the eccentric crowd that would attend a Cure show in Tampa--home of goth clubs like the Castle and full characters like that Peter Pan Wannabee (http://www.pixyland.org/peterpan/). They, along with Porl Thompson, made me think that Hot Topic sponsored the event and gave everybody new outfits.

Like I said about Ultra Fest last year, the band sounds better than ever. If they can keep touring every few years and play like they did last night, that would be the best. I am curious, however, how much longer they'll keep up with as much energy. The previous tour reviews are correct, Robert's unable to keep those high notes on Prayers for Rain and Wrong Number. By the encores, Porl was darting off stage, fatigued, and Robert kept panting from sheer exhaustion.

When I walked out, I also had to think through what the setlist was, I could only recall singles and new stuff at first--but then I remembered they played the Catch, The Blood, Kyoto song. It was a good show, overall, but no big surprises.

I must address, however, the bizarre qualities of this show. It is to no surprise that Cure fans are now in their 40's and even 50's, but it's kind of weird to see a mother/daughter team at the front of the stage holding a sign that says, "Why Can't I Do You?" What is even worse is then when I stood next to them, possible since a lot of people began leaving the floor in the encores, the mom says to me, "You can't be up front here unless you wanna fuck Robert Smith too!"

She kept flapping her cardboard sign at him, and eventually Smith mouthed with a look of annoyance, "Yeah, Okay, I know..." What else could she expect from a guy who has been practically married since the seventh grade.

For the first time ever, I found myself at the semi-truck parking lot amidst a crowd of other Cure fans awaiting the band's exit. Although the security was not lying when they said the band had left, I remained for quite awhile talking to some real pieces of work that wanted autographs and such. I met two women who were friends with an Italian guy who looks just like Robert Smith and sings in a cover band from Italy. They expressed surprise that Robert did not give him backstage tickets. I don't think I would do such at every one of my shows either. After you meet a guy who emulates you so much that he spends his life doing and looking everything the same way you do, with what qualities of such a mime could you ever forge more than a greeting and a thank you for being a fan? I think I would want to get the hell away from someone that so scarily copied me.

I also encountered a middle-aged blond wearing a shirt stating, "Robert Smith is God" who proceeded to jump the fence and hide beneath 65's bus. It is one thing to, by chance, meet a band, greet them, tell them some frame of reference as to why you like them as much as you do, but calling someone God? That has got to be one of the tackiest shirts I have ever come across on ebay.

I think I can only give some credit to the young kids standing out there, quietly, for a glimpse of the band. Hoping they may have a chance to mingle, get a photo, a handshake. As for the obnoxious middle-aged men with voices like Chris Farley who scream for pictures of roadies, wear black eyeliner, and drunkenly staggering... I could only look away from such embarrassing elements.

No wonder why they get into a discreet car and bolt--in a place like Tampa.

And lastly, the merchandising.... Will the Cure just let someone younger design their shirts? The stuff is so in your face. 4TOUR- THE CURE - ALL OVER THIS SHIRT! The one somewhat decent thing I saw was an army jacket that had the cure 4tour logo, but Modest Mouse and Dead Meadow had the same thing. Really.... something more subtle, maybe a graphic without the name? The band would make more money if they weren't merchandising that run-of-the-mill band merchandising company garbage where they just point at "cool" looking stuff in a brochure and order 5,000 in every size. I think the cure shirts stopped looking good 1987.

Keep in mind, that this all comes from probably the worst kind of Cure fan--one critical of the others...

But then again, I didn't see anyone else singing every word to every song except for me, and the head count was, what, 7,600?

- Eric W.

I bought tickets for this show last year (before the tour postponement) which fell on our first child's due date. I'm confident in saying that I was the only Cure fan happy to see the show rescheduled for June 2008. Saved a LOT of money on a divorce!! So, with my 8 month old home with Mom, safe and sound, I attended the show with my long time Cure buddy from NY, who flew down for the show.

This show was unbelievable!! Goose bumps from start to finish. Underneath the Stars was brilliant. Great opener, really setting the mood for the anticipation of the new CD this fall (hopefully.) I don't know if it was because we were in the 3rd row along side the stage, but this was the best Cure show I've seen since the Prayer Tour @ Giant Stadium. What made this show my absolute favorite of the 14 shows I've seen was finally being able to see 'Shake Dog Shake'. I've been chasing them all over the country for the last 2 tours to try to catch that one, but keep missing it. Thought for sure they would have played it in Miami last year, but no. On my life's 'things to do list', I can finally check off that one! Sounded as good, if not better than the 'Orange' show.

Porl is a madman. If Adam Jones ever leaves Tool, Porl is their guy. In fact, they should recruit him anyway...he's a perfect fit. Simon and Jason were in pristine form. Robert looked especially crazy last night! Last night was the best I've seen him look since '89.

If I'm not mistaken, they played ALL of the new songs (b-sides not included) at this show. All were great, but I think Baby Rag Dog Book was extraordinary. Jason was flawless. He went right from 100 Years into Baby Rag Dog Book! Porl, Robert, and Simon gave him a few seconds to wipe his face with a towel and then it was game on. That was approx. 10 straight minutes of serious hammering away on the drums!! Nothing against Jason, but until last night I've always favored Boris Williams as their best drummer throughout the various lineup changes. I was proven otherwise last night. Jason is to Boris as Ringo Starr is to Pete Best. This is by far the most energetic of the new songs and has me salivating for the studio version. I can only describe this song as 'Push' meets 'Disintegration' on 4 shots of espresso!

I don't want to sound greedy, but I was hoping to catch some other 'oldies' that they've been sprinkling in like Letter to Elise, Play for Today, Figurehead, etc. 'Catch' was a great surprise as was 'To Wish Impossible Things'. Glad Robert attempted that one again now that his voice was tip-top. Sounded much better than the Red Rocks version. He seemed to put a lot of effort into "....it was the hope of all we might have been". Excellent.

Songs like Kyoto, HHH, & Wrong Number are wasted on me, but they did sound phenomenal. During Wrong Number, when Robert says "hello? are you still there? Hello?", he switched up with repeating "HELLO?" "HELLO?" "HELLOOOOOOO?" to get the crowd going, as if it was needed!

You can always spot the long time Cure fans at any show by these three things:

1. During ANY new song, the novices sit down. Old fans remain standing.

2. During 'Fascination Street' when he sings 'move to the beat' the veterans pump their fists 3 times during that part.

3. During 'FTEOTDGS', the veterans "....put their hands in the sky".


4. Forest had an extra long intro and was by far the best version I've ever seen them do. As the band typically breaks down to just Simon at the end, Robert was going OFF!!! He sounded like he was about to fade out, and then went nuts and started back up again! Then Simon went crazy on the bass and dropped it by the amp, walking offstage with feedback blaring! Robert made a grimacing face, and walked over to his pedal and shut if off. Then he went back to his mike and said "Goodnight. See you again soon!"

Let me know when, so we can plan the birth of our next child a little better!!!

Anyone going to any remaining shows are in for a treat, especially the Radio City show.... the closer is usually their best performance! The way they've been mixing up their setlists, that's going to be full of surprises!!!

P.S. SHAME ON YOU, TAMPA!!!! HALF-FULL VENUE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

- Skottydog

I went alone since my wife was in Dallas. The opening band was interesting but I think I got a little tired of them once the sound samples started getting to be too much.

Underneath the Stars was incredible. I also really enjoyed The Blood, Catch, Fascination Street, and wow - Wish Impossible Things. I've waited awhile to hear that one.

No one near me wanted to move or dance at the show. Now I can do an awesome spazmic 'man having a stroke' dance as a tribute to my hatred of rhythm. And since I was the only one doing it for several rows in either direction (I was the spaz in 103 D - passing his binoculars around, and yes, wearing khaki shorts), I'm sure I earned a few snickers. At least I didn't know anyone near me .

Then all the pop songs started and people sort of responded to those.

All in all, I'm glad I went, but I was a little disappointed by all the pop singles. If they'd have traded out Let's Go to Bed and WCIBY for M and Holy Hour it would have been the best show ever.

Last note, I saw the best Robert Smith impression I'd seen in awhile. I think the man, an Italian, said his name was Paulo. He sat a little far from me or I'd have introduced myself.

I hope everyone had a good time.

- Scott M


hey everyone. i just got back from the tampa show, and yes, the crowd was about as enthusiastic as a bowl of soggy corn flakes. my friend and i actually ended up scooting down a bit to a few row of empty seats just to the right of the mixing area. no one, i repeat NO ONE in the area i was previously in stood up at all. lame. kind of a standard set, but it was great to hear kyoto song and catch. freakshow was great live! i especially loved robert's little swimming dance. UTS was epic, but sadly, i don't think the crowd grapsed the oh hell yes! aspect of it. definitely a weird mix of people, with the hardcore fans being outnumbered by fuddy duddys in khakis shorts and what not. the highlight for me...easy. sneaking past an unmanned curtain on the 100 level and watching them soundcheck charlotte sometimes. robert was wearing his shorts! it also seemed that porl's guitar was kind of low in the mix at times, most evident on fteotdgs. robert appeared to be having a great time and was talkative. after freakshow, he said something to the effect of, "we've practiced this one a lot, but i keep fucking up the lyrics. seems simple enough, right?" before hot x 3, he said, "what it's been for the last fucking 3 days or so..." all in all yes, a standard show, but very high energy from the band. let's hope that milquetoast crowd stays at home when they hit sunrise, fl!

- November Trilogy