Monday, October 6, 2008

Bridal Gown Alterations [with pictures]

pix before and during alterations at david's bridal, first fitting.

My measurements were- 31-26-37 I don't know what it all means other than that I have a petite chest and big hips apparently according to these numbers. I'm not sure what the numbers mean but I wish I did and I think I'm going to research that so I can find out.

Alterations were a bit tiring seeing that within minutes my feet were killing me and the lady kept reprimanding me for not holding my head high enough and standing straight. It was not that relaxing + a bit stressful. I couldn't wait til it was done and was relieved when about 40 mins later the hems being pinned, bust and waist pinned were finally finished where I could take the dress off and leave.

Unforunately I accidentally moved my arm too fast and one of the HUGE straight pins brushed against my skin causing a deep cut against my inner arm near my wrist. I had no idea it bled or that I'd been cut. I thought I just poked myself with the pin, not cut myself. Hours later, before bed is when I discovered the nasty dark red cut that looked like a smudge of sharpie red marker. It scared me. I put peroxide and neosporin, then put a bandaid on it immediately.

Here were some pix my mom and the alteration lady took for me. A few of these are prior to alterations so it looks a bit big because it wasn't taken in yet and a then a few were taken after I was all pinned up:

These were before the alterations began so nothing was pinned up yet. Also, the corset wasn't tied up yet so it looks a bit big without it being fully tied up.

I had my mom take a few snapshots before everything got pinned and taken in and in case I wasn't able to get any pix before turning the dress into alterations so I could see how the dress fit now and share with those I wanted to with.

I felt my arms and shoulders looked noticeably thinner than when I first tried on, bought the dress which I photographed the day of purchase back in May. I have lost some weight in the past month and it may be tied to that. I think it was more obvious in person though than in the actual photographs here. I don't know.

Closeup picture of top half, sideways:




Full length front shot.



My face sure does look red. I can't determine whether it is the lighting or if it is because I was feeling hot and nervous while standing there waiting to be altered OR if my skin really looks like that. Whatever the case it worries me because when I looked in the mirror during this time, I felt my complexion and color were noticeable as I got sort of a farmer's tan when I went to the beach back in July due to wearing a surfer style sleeveless top rather than bikini and was hoping it would fade before my wedding as I refuse to wear tanning spray or go to any tanning salon. I HATE being tan and the look of fake tans on people in general. I think it's ugly and will not do it, so I just have to cross my fingers that by the end of Nov., in person and in photo, that my skin is going to look even in tone and color otherwise I am in big trouble. I definitely don't want to look like I have splotchy skin color or orange-reddish tones on my wedding day. I really don't know what can be done to make sure this doesn't happen. So all I can do is HOPE and pray!

Frontal view



Below, picture is a crop from above picture-



There were mirrors all around so in the original picture it captured another angle and view by way of capturing the reflection in the mirror in the photo which I thought was really cool. I like seeing other perspectives.

Then, I had the lady doing the alterations take a few pix which appear below. She seemed reluctant about it and almost seemed like I wouldn't get any pix from her but I assertively asked and so I got my pix. I felt like she may've been annoyed at doing it so she didnt make the best effort but oh well, better than nothing. And it's irritating that the girl behind me appears in the picture. She didnt have any appt for david's bridal or even for alterations. Another saleslady dumped her onto the alteration lady wanting her opinion as the girl couldn't decide between two bridal gowns and it sounded like to me, the saleslady felt that the alterations lady's opinion would result in her getting a big sale from this woman. I think it worked but felt it should have been done AFTER my appt afterall Id made my appt weeks ago and had it reserved. Annoying!

The below picture shows how the dress looks after she hemmed up the front [which looked really nice and changes the whole look of the dress since it was way too long and I am so petite] You may notice that on each side of my bust. She had pulled in the sides somewhat with pins. This is when i ended up cutting my arm during the appt as I accidentally moved my arm and it got caught on a large pin. I didn't know I cut myself til hrs later.]

I had to have the side of my bust pulled in for a more flattering figure fitting top otherwise it looked like I had a sloppy figure with no breasts. I was wearing a strapless push up padded body slip along with silicone adhesive bra underneath to push up and enhance breasts. I hardly notice a difference and now think maybe I should have bought a size bigger, a B cup instead and I am seriously thinking I will either take a trip to Macy's or Victoria's Secret to buy a B cup silicone adhesive bra as I am now anxious my breasts are going to look funny since I'm not very full chested or curvy with this strapless dress. I never wear strapless anything cos obviously I don't have the breasts or the body for it.

I want to look perfect on my wedding day so I guess I have to spend an extra thirty bucks buying another silicone adhesive bra set since I am unable to return the one I just bought from David's Bridal which is an A cup. They have a strict policy where you cannot return or exchange anything once you purchase from them. It's one thing I really hate about them among several other things and think if I ever had to shop for wedding stuff again that I may not ever want to work with them again. I noticed that after you buy your dress, people are less friendly to help or give you great customer service and even when trying my dress for alterations, no one raved about how beautiful my dress looked on me yet that is all they did the day I was trying it on and thinking of buying it. Instead the alteration lady raved about the other girl's dress who had not yet bought a wedding dress and was considering buying that day. I found that curious and funny. It shows me that you only get compliments and flattery when you are considering buying from them, but once you buy, all that goes out the window. I don't think its coincidence and I think that is very bad customer service. It turns me off to ever want to shop with them again!

Anyway here I am below, with the bust pulled in with pins-




This will have to be sewn and taken in. Again my face and arms look red and I worry that it is from a past summer tan and won't fade in time for my wedding :/


View of back of gown:



I wanted to get a full view of the back, so here it is :) I really love the look of the corset tied up and the way the rest of the shape of the gown shows off my figure and curve :)



After Note:

I have a second appt, on November 5th at 7.30pm to be re-fit into gown, to make sure the new alterations fit my body well and to also have my bustle for my train built into my wedding dress. This is done so that when you go to the reception you can walk, move and dance without tripping on the train. This cost 225 dollars and I'm not sure if that included the train or not- that may have just been taking the bust, and waist in as well as having to hem the dress because I'm too short and petite. I felt like my body looked a little thinner, less fatty, bloated since the day I bought the dress in May and felt it was slightly noticeable but maybe im imagining that. It isn't drastic so I guess you might not really notice.
PS
To show you the difference between when I first tried on the dress back in May of this year and photographed it AND pix from this past wkend in October--I will share the pix from back in May. I feel I look way heavier in these pix and there is a noticeable weight loss although it may be harder to tell because in this set of pix I was wearing the veil with tiara over the dress and in the pix from alteration I am not wearing either of of those.











++++++++


Below are some of the things we ordered last month as party favors for our November Wedding, it arrived at my parents house this past weekend!



[we also finished addressing all our invitations earlier in the week and mailed them out on this past wednesday, by the way. we have had four replies since last week already from close family/friends who have already sent their reply saying they will be there!]

Party Favors we got:




#1 wedding beverage/ bar napkins in the color of lilac with silver writing, personalized with our names and wedding date along with symbol we both chose- the butterfly. since its my favorite and is already a semi-theme in the wedding and ties very well to orchids and a number of other styles ive chosen for my wedding thus far.






#2 disposable butterfly cameras for each main guest table.









#3 matches with symbol [chinese for love] and our names, wedding date on item [blk/silver]














ps We think we are going to order this pretty, unique and cool party favor as the wow factor for our wedding reception as a gift to our guest attending :)

It is a silver or pewter butterfly bookmark [i love it and ties in with our wedding theme]

Fund it on a website called http://www.favorsbyserendipity.com/

Here is the link to what we plan to get!

http://www.favorsbyserendipity.com/themed_product_pages/p-slg-6401-fc.html



Butterfly Design Bookmarks

No comments: