Tuesday, October 21, 2008

trying to figure out candy favor for wedding thru trial & error.

Over the weekend, we stopped at Michael's arts + crafts prior and got some heart silver tins for the candy favors for the wedding. We have to decide where we want to get the candy by bulk soon. We looked at a candy shop in university mall but i was not that impressed and would rather go thru M & M's website or some more commercialized inexpensive brand of candy with a decent reputation that is professional and accustomed to catering towards special occasions and can be ordered in bulk.

I thought of M & M's because over the past year or more I have seen repeated commercials that they specialize in personalized m and m's for all occasions and you can choose what words will be on the candy. We could do something tied to our wedding and/or names with a catchy phrase.

I just feel like I'd rather NOT use a candy company that doesn't look that good or fresh, which is what I felt I saw at this little low-end candy shop in the mall called Davant Sweet Shop. I've never heard of this shop in my life but aside from something super expensive like Godiva, it was the only one listed in the malls located to us in close proximity and it was Jimmy's idea to check it out. I had my doubts prior to going which were confirmed when we got there.

He of course was reluctant to admit how this would not be a good choice and seemed to ignore my attempts to comment on the fact that the candy didn't look all that good and would NOT be appropriate for use in our wedding.

Who knows how long it was sitting, it appeared to be in clear bins which didn't look all that appealing and the place was teaming with kids and teens getting scoops of candy. Uhh. I don't think so!!

Later in the weekend, Jimmy admitted he didn't think the candy was all that good. Him being like a big kid himself [he is the most sweet tooth person I know and I am not so much.] got a handful of goodies for himself to try in a baggie along with a few jordan almond candies which is typically used for wedding candy favors. We also got some turtles [my fave ever] from behind the glass counter for the two of us. I thought the turtles were ok, but honestly felt the grocery store brand of DeMett's turtles that I have bought a million times for myself- it being my personal favorite- was WAY better in quality of chocolate, caramel and nuts.

Jimmy later admitted he didn't think the turtles were all that great. Funny how he defended the store when I retaliated against it at the beginning. LOL He never likes to admit when I am right and is always resistant when I shoot down something. :D