Wednesday, July 30, 2008

shadowplay [they keep calling me]

in my darkest hours, i've breathed in and consumed every emotion explored in each and every song here.

it was how i felt and over the past twenty years where i've floated in and out of existence.



hear this


http://www.playlist.com/playlist/10952861707/standalone




unknown pleasures -

favorite cover art album of all time above. love the abstract and its still one of the most creative, coveted.

these two recent films have caused a heavy revival of both jimmy and i's love of Joy Divison. Both of our teenage highschool roots go back to this group.

i remember getting up everyday for school and listening to Joy Division's Substance- Best Of cassette tape in my stereo as i got ready for school. it gave me the adrenaline rush i needed and the motivation to push myself thru another day.

i was 16 years old and it was 1988.

music was one of the main things that kept me sane during a particularly oppressive time in my life where i hated school because i didnt belong and was seen as dark and strange for being new wave/goth but revelled / rebelled in that feeling at the same time. i was for the most part a nonconformist and artsy. i felt misunderstood- and very alone back then- and i just did not fit into conventional society or with any social popular clique of any kind- [i still really don't].

i felt very dark, with very little light to follow..back then.

it was a crushing time.



To the centre of the city where all roads meet - waiting for you /To the depths of the ocean where all hopes sank - searching for you/Moving through the silence without motion - waiting for you/ In a room with a window in the corner I found truth/In the shadowplay, acting out your own death - knowing no more/As the assassins all grouped in four lines, dancing on the floor/ And with cold steel, odour on their bodies, made a move to connect/I could only stare in disbelief as the crowds all left/I did everything, everything I wanted to/I let them use you for their own ends/ To the centre of the city in the night - waiting for you /To the centre of the city in the night - waiting for you

-joy division

No comments: