Wednesday, September 10, 2008

cat power!



[above picture is one i took in my room and was taken with my FIRST digital cam quite a ways back in 2004. i think my niece got this HK doll at mcdonald's and had two of them so i inherited it gladly!]

A Hello Kitty Moment:

As a little girl my mom used to take us to an expensive dept store in existence in the 80's here called Burdines. they had a section in the girl's clothing dept as i was one of those girls who loved clothes shopping and my mom took me a lot. anyway there was this little clear cubicle shelfing thingie that had all kinds of sanrio stuff which included hello kitty and other faves [some i have a few things from and saved from childhood]- my melody (i think thats the name} and little twin stars. these were all fond childhood characters i loved.

My main feel-good memory is my mom would allow me to pick one little thing from the Sanrio section everytime she took us to that dept store and as a treat she'd buy one item for me. it became a ritual and is a fond sentimental childhood memory.

Then in 2000 i found a Sanrio store in a suburb mall in Illinois, Schaumburg [Woodfield] and started shopping there frequently. I bought a lot of HK stationary/stickers + knick knacks and even had a frequent shopper card.

Everytime I go to Hallmark or Target [in the past 4 yrs] I see tons of HK items i want for me!!
My mom + i also got my niece into HK since a baby and she's got a ton of hello kitty oriented toys, clothing and such including the first CD boombox she was given as a 3 yr old by me and my mom for her birthday which was of course a Hello Kitty CD boombox much like the ones so popular back in the 80's- those Sharp ones- I had one of those and it was pink, the only difference is that it wasnt a hello kitty staple and it only had a tape cassette player as CD was not out back then!!!

Oh, the memories!!

+++

i cut out the following clip from my fashion magazine some years ago back in 2004- i think this is from ELLE. the hello kitty trend hasn't died down since and is as hot as ever to this day. i don't think this is a passing trend either. it only gets bigger and better as the years go by and it is definitely one trend i'd like to pass on to my child should i ever have a daughter :D


No comments: