Friday, September 19, 2008

passports + pastors!

[jimmy wrote me the email below from work earlier in the day so now the passport appt is official [i dread the picture becos i know it will come out ugly] - this coming weekend, saturday morning. and the pastor finally has had some communication with us in regard how to work out vows and our wedding ceremony coming at the end of november. since we met him via our historic wedding chapel site and by recommendation and since neither of us are active in any church- we do not know pastor jack very well, just that we had a meeting with him a while back, he is well respected and highly praised by the facility we are holding our wedding in, is retired and has performed many religious and spiritual ceremonies. a refresher for those who don't know. i was born and raised catholic although am not currently practicing. jimmy was raised baptist and became anti-organized religion as he came of age- prob in his twenties much like me. the difference b/t him and i is this: id have liked a catholic wedding but becos hes not catholic, is unwilling to put the work in to even convert [unlike my exhusband] and i am divorced it truly IS a NO-GO!!

 

Plus, his family looks down on catholics since his mother was raised one and hated it and converted and she thinks its silly that people pray to statues YET is a so called devout christian, a baptist. i find her attitude irritating, insulting and hypocritical. i dont see praying to statues or a rosary as silly at all, and think catholic religion evokes something very mysterious, romantic in ways because of its use of ritual. i just feel strongly about what i was born as. and just cos i dont approve with every facet of catholicism doesnt mean i agree with his families anticatholic prejudices/ rants nor does it mean i will change who i am for anyone. so, my compromise with jimmy is to be married by a noncatholic pastor but one who is religious- i think he's methodist and it sounds like they are not as rigid as other more headstrong christians ive met and seen in the past. mainly i refused to have a wedding without any religious based ceremony.  it wasnt too hard to convince since he does come from a strong christian background regardless of his beliefs today, and because he knows in his heart, his mom and my mom would like to see a ceremony that involves god and the sacredness of marriage that is always best expressed in terms of scripture and prayer.

 

that said, this is what my fiance wrote me, technically yesterday about pastor jack!

 

Hi babe,

 

I wanted to share this forwarded message with you.  The officiant, Jack, that will be doing our ceremony wrote me back after I asked him about the rehearsal time.

 

I also just called for a passport appointment.  They only had an 8:15 or 8:30am (can't remember what she said) and an 11:45am, so I scheduled the 11:45.  Hopefully, that is OK with you.  I know it's a little early for you, but I don't want to wait too long to get it taken care of or we'll be even more stressed.  The lady I spoke to said it would only take 10-15 minutes and she said to NOT sign the application.  I think you have to sign it in front of them.

 

Remind me to work on the map tonight.  If I can finish it tonight, I'll make copies here at work tomorrow. 

 

Does the Michael's coupon expire on the 20th?  We can either go tonight and tomorrow, or tomorrow and Saturday so we can buy a few things.  I would like to go to the baseball game on Saturday if that's OK.  It's a 3:30 pm game, so we could either go to your parents or brother and niece's after the passport appointment or come home for a one hour nap and then go if you'd like to do something.  You're welcome to come to the game with me, but I didn't think you'd want to go. 

 

 

I just got back from lunch a little while ago and my head is pounding.  I thought some food would make it go away, but I guess I'll have to take an Excedrin or two.  Anyway, I have a bunch of things to work on, so I'm going to let you go.  Hope your day is going good.  I'll see you in a few hours.

 

Love,

Jimmy






Forward---



From: Jimmy

To: Minister Performing Our Wedding

Sent: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 2:36 pm

Subject: November 28th wedding





Hi, Jack.  I just left you a voicemail message, but figured I'd try you here as

well.  My fiancee wanted to touch base with you on a few things regarding our

wedding on November 28th at the Palm Harbor White Chapel.  First of all, we

wanted to know if 6:00 p.m. would be a good starting time for the rehearsal on

Wed, Nov 26th.  We have some family coming in from out of town and wanted to

make sure they can get to the chapel in time for the rehearsal.  Also, we wanted

to let you know that we will be emailing you our preferred vows in the next week

or two and will also send you a copy of the program about a month or so before

the ceremony.  Finally, we wanted to know if you have a new home phone number or

just the cell phone, as the previous home phone on your business card is no

longer valid.



If it's easier to reply by email, that's fine.  Otherwise, feel free to call me

at your convenience at ***-***-****.  We hope you are doing well.



Sincerely,

Jimmy W. and April K.



Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:07:53 PMFrom: Pastor Jack

Subject: Re: November 28th wedding






Dear Jimmy, the 6pm will be fine for the rehersal time. We are on a trip up in Maine and New England and willbe back home on October 16th...my cell is with me and the home phone is out till we get back home and thenwill be back in service. I am able to get some wifi here and there in our travels. So email me your vows orsend to p.o. box 28 there in tarpon springs...and I can meet with you guys some time in October beforethe big date, ok? Pastor Jack



No comments: